When hiring a Local Buffalo Roofing Contractor makes sense
Some home improvement projects are easy enough to handle yourself, but when it comes to your roof, Buffalo roofing contractors have the necessary skills and expertise to get the job completed right. Many home and building owners lack experience with roofing repairs or installation so allowing an experienced roofing professional to handle the job saves time and money.
When you evaluate the significant investment you’ve made in your home or office building, you want to protect it with quality materials and craftsmanship that will last for many years in the future. Consumers are limited by the choice of roofing products available at the local home improvement store. A primary benefit of professional roofing repair is the contractor’s ability to access superior construction materials. Roofing companies also help homeowners choose the best material options to suit their building and budget.
The height and slope of building roofs make do-it-yourself repairs quite dangerous. Hiring roofing contractors in Buffalo will help you rest assured that your roofing project will be completed skillfully without risking your health and safety.
Of course, when it comes to finding the right contractor, many homeowners find the search challenging. That’s why it helps to understand just what to look for in a roofing contractor and then how to choose the right one for your needs.
How do I choose the right contractor for my roofing needs?
You should review bids from at least 3 different contractors. Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. Supply all potential roofing companies with the same job specifications, building plans and work details so they can bid appropriately. Never shop by price alone. The lowest bid does not mean that you will receive quality work for your project. If one bid seems way lower than others, it may indicate a mistake in the paperwork or omission of expected expenses. This can lead to disputes with the roofing company. Often, lower bids may indicate a roofing contractor trying to cut corners with substandard materials to boost their profit.
Tips for evaluating roofing contractors in Buffalo
After obtaining a minimum of three bids and reviewing the estimated cost and project time frame, it is vital to take a closer look at contractors in the running for receiving the job.
- Get 3 references and review their past work. Personal recommendations can be a tremendous help in choosing the right contractor for your needs. Family and friends are excellent resources for sharing their past construction experiences. You may also learn about roofing companies by contacting the local county office of consumer affairs for a history of any complaints. Contractors should also have a verifiable work location and contact number so they are reachable should disputes arise.
- Get everything in writing. It is vital that you obtain written estimates for home improvement projects. Contractors must supply an estimate in writing when requested, and having these numbers will help you plan your finances accordingly. When hiring a contractor, the work project should have a written contract, and do not sign until you understand the terms. New York law allows homeowners to cancel home improvement contracts within 3 days.
- Check contractor insurance policies. Make sure contractor has the appropriate insurance policies in place – workers compensation for their employees and liability coverage to take care of any property damage. If the roofer’s employees are injured while on your property, you may be liable if the contractor does not have the proper insurance coverage. Most contractors also have bonds, which are written to protect consumers from substandard work that doesn’t meet building codes.
- Never pay a contractor in cash. Also, any upfront deposits should never be more than 25 percent of total job estimate with a maximum of $15,000 for contract work to commence. Do not make pre-payments in advance of work. Pay incrementally so that a portion of work is complete before paying next installment. Final installment payment should not be issued until you are completely satisfied with the work.
- Do not accept financing terms from contractor. Buffalo roofing companies cannot finance improvement or repair work according to state law. Instead, contact your personal banking institution to learn more about home improvement financing options.
- Check with your local BBB for ratings and outstanding complaints it’s free.