When you’re thinking of beginning, or finishing, your home remodeling project, it’s important to take a few steps to find the most qualified person for the job, such as finding out whether the company has a reputation for reliability, or whether they’re not so busy they’ll actually be able to complete your project on time.
Here are some tips to find the right contractor for the job:
1. Ask other professionals. According to experts, first, you should get a list of remodeling contractors in your local area, from an organization like the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. Then, it’s a good idea to talk with local building inspectors, and lumber yard owners, to find out which contractors in your area commonly pay their expenses, and don’t take shortcuts when it comes to buying quality materials. Lastly, you also may want to ask friends or relatives if they know a local contractor who’s got worthy references.
2. Find out which remodeling contractor will meet both your standards, and timeline. Ask each prospective contractor if they have ever taken on a project such as yours in the past. In addition, find out how many projects the contractor is currently working on, which should give you an idea whether the contractor will have enough available time to spend on yours. This would also be a good time to ask for references, both financial, from banks and insurance companies, as well as from previous clients.
3. Meet the prospects and, investigate. Once you’ve narrowed it down to a few remodeling contractors who may be well suited for the job; set up meetings with them to get estimates, and see if you are well-matched for a working relationship. Remember, this person will likely be working on your project, and in your space, for a long period of time. And, be sure to check with your local Better Business Bureau to make sure none of the remodeling contractor’s clients have made any complaints.
4. Compare bids to find out which Rochester contractor’s is offering the best price. See who’s got the best price, according to the plans for your project. According to experts, materials should amount to about 40 percent of the cost. In addition, large projects should start with a payment of 10 percent of the total cost at the beginning of the project; then three additional payments of 25 percent at different points throughout the completion of the project. Lastly, you should pay the final 15 percent at the end of the project, when you feel it has been successfully completed.
5. Make sure you sign a valid contract. Make sure you have a record of the details regarding the project you’ve discussed with the remodeling contractor. Renovators say you should be sure to include things like the payment plan you’ve set up with the contractor; the day the project will start, and the date it has been projected to end; as well as safeguards from any financial disputes that may come up for the contractor with subcontractors, or other suppliers, during the length of the project.
Have fun, and happy remodeling!
Tags; Rochester NY remodeling contractors, Rochester NY contractors,